Message from Chancellor Carol L. Folt

Dear Carolina community:

I am writing in regard to the tragic loss of a member of the Carolina community. As many of you know, Dr. Feng Liu, a research professor in the Eshelman School of Pharmacy, passed away this morning in what the Chapel Hill Police Department is calling a robbery/homicide. This is a tremendous loss to Carolina, and I am heartbroken over this horrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with Dr. Liu’s family, colleagues and friends during this difficult time.

Dr. Liu spent nearly 10 years at Carolina and was dedicated to the success of his students. He conducted important research on gene and drug delivery in the School of Pharmacy. Most importantly, he was a loving husband and father who will be greatly missed.

The Chapel Hill Police Department has arrested two individuals in connection with this tragedy. We will update the University’s Alert Carolina website, https://alertcarolina.unc.edu//, as new information is available.

The University is cooperating fully with Chapel Hill police in this investigation. I want to assure you that safety and security of students, faculty, staff and visitors on Carolina’s campus and in the surrounding community is my highest priority.

During this time of loss, the Carolina Community has resources to help us in our grief. We are making counseling resources available. We encourage students to call Counseling and Psychological Services (919-966-3658), and faculty and staff to contact our Employee Assistance Program (877-314-5841), if you would like support.

I encourage all members of the Carolina Community to process their grief and support one another.

Sincerely,

Carol L. Folt